Beet Salad with Orange and Feta
This colorful salad combines the earthy flavor of beets with the sweetness of orange. This stunning explosion of color is a welcome addition to any table.
- 2 beets cooked, cut in half, and quartered
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 orange
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 2 Tablespoons onion or shallot finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 cups arugula
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro leaves rough chopped
- 2 ounces Feta cheese crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove tops from beets, peel and cook in lightly salted boiling water until tender. Allow to cool. cut in half and then quarter each half.
- Peel the orange and then section as you would a grapefruit, using a knife to separate the membranes. working over a bowl to catch the juice.
- Zest the limes and set aside.
- Juice the limes into a bowl and add back the zest.
- Add onion, vinegar, and any juice from the orange.
- Drizzle in the olive oil and whisk.
- Add beets and toss well to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover dish and allow to stand at room temperature for about one hour.
- Arrange arugula on a plate. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Spoon beets and dressing over arugula, and scatter with orange segments and feta.
Reserve the tops from the beets to use in another salad.
Recipe courtesy Sunset Magazine
Beet green are delicious tossed with your favorite salad dressing.