Grilled Pineapple & Cucumber Salad
Combinations of textures and flavors make this grilled pineapple and cucumber salad not only a treat for the eyes, but a delight for the tongue. The perfect dish for your next backyard barbecue or luau, this salad hits all the right notes.
- 1 small pineapple halved
- 1 large cucumber seeded and diced
- 1 red hot pepper Thai chili, jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion diced
- 3 Tablespoon mint rough chopped
- 3 Tablespoon cilantro rough chopped
- 3 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- fresh pepper
- 1 - 2 teaspoons minced garlic optional
- Cut pineapple in half with a sharp knife.
- Using a paring knife, carefully remove the core from one half. With a melon-baller hallow out to create a serving bowl and set aside.
- Trim the top and the outer layer off of the other half and removed the core, keeping the fruit in a large piece.
- Heat grill to medium. Place the pineapple bowl face down on the grill for about 5 minutes or until grill marks have formed on the top.
- Grill the large pieces of pineapple for about 5 minutes on each side or until slightly tender. Allow the pineapple bowl and grilled fruit to cool.
- Seed and dice cucumber and pepper and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Dice pineapple and onion and add to the mixture.
- Rough chop the mint and cilantro and toss with the salad.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, sugar, and salt & pepper. Pour over salad and toss to coat.
- Spoon into pineapple bowl. Refill the bowl as needed.
Use 2 tablespoon of fish sauce and 1 tablespoon of lime juice for the dressing to give this a Thai twist.