Blueberry Crumble Bars
Handfuls of fresh blueberries fill a buttery crust offering all the amazing flavor of a fresh baked pie. These easy-to-make bars require very little prep time and are incredibly delicious. Enjoyed as the perfect companion to your morning coffee or for an after dinner sweet treat, these little squares of blueberry goodness are sure to please.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter cut into chunks
- 1 large egg
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- Position rack in the center of oven and heat to 375° Grease a 9”×13” baking pan. I like to line my pan with parchment for easy removal.
In a medium bowl mix together dry ingredients with lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter, blend in the butter and egg until a crumbly dough forms. Press half of dough into the prepared pan. A piece of plastic wrap is helpful to prevent the dough from sticking to your hand. Set remaining dough aside for crumble topping.
- In another bowl combine sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently toss in the blueberries. Spread the blueberry filling evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the top of the berries.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until top is slightly brown. Baking times can vary depending on your oven; keep an eye on the bars after 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.
Store bars in fridge for best flavor.