Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole
Tender bites of broccoli are the star of this creamy, easy to make casserole. Topped with a crispy layer of cheese and bread crumbs, this hearty dish is comfort food at its best. Cheesy broccoli rice casserole is a classic side dish that’s great with a weeknight meal or even suitable for your holiday buffet.
- 6 cups fresh broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1½ cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup panko or cracker crumbs
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Position rack in the center of oven and heat to 350F degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9”x 9” baking dish.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Cook onion and carrot in butter until softened.
- Stir in soup and milk. Heat until almost boiling and soup begins to thicken.
- Add spices and stir to mix.
- Add 1 cup of the cheese and stir to melt.
- Blanch broccoli in boiling water for about 2 minutes. It will continue to cook in the oven.
- Combine rice, broccoli and cheesy mixture. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and panko crumbs. Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until bubbly and top is lightly browned.
Add chicken to make this casserole a complete meal!