When it comes to a crowd pleasing side dish that is simple to make, this corn souffle, also sometimes called spoon bread, is the perfect answer. Whether served family style at a BBQ, or dressed up for a formal occasion, this delicious corn cake will become the star of the show.
- 1 box jiffy corn bread mix
- 1 can whole corn, drained
- 1 can creamed corn
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- ¼ green pepper, finely diced
- Combine first six ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Sauté onions and green pepper over medium heat in butter until onions become translucent. Add to mixture (include all butter) and mix well.
- Beat eggs and fold into mixture.
- For individual servings spoon into greased ramekins.
- The corn souffle can also be made “family style” by using a medium-sized casserole or souffle dish.
- Bake individual size servings at 350° F for about 45 minutes. Large dish requires more time, about 55 minutes.
- Top should be golden brown and the center firm, test by inserting a knife.
Green peppers and onions are optional. For a variety try roasted red peppers or green chilis. Or how about bacon?!